Break the Rules: Wine with Tacos
It may seem unbelievable, but Mexico has a long history with wine. In fact, the oldest known winery in North America is located in Coahuila, Mexico. It was established in 1597! It’s not just beer and Tequila to drink with tacos.
· Think about the intensity of the dish
· Do try: High acid whites | Sweeter styles of Riesling for the spice | Light rosé | Low tannin red
· Avoid: Wines lots of oak, tannin and mineral qualities
For Baja-style fish tacos made with fried or grilled fish, Small reaches for brisk white wines, particularly Albariño El Brazo or Awaken Sauvignon Blanc, crisp and refreshing with notes of citrus grapefruit and tomato leaves. Fried fish also works well with beer and, of course, the classic margarita. Anything citrus-focused will pair well. Bracing white wines are a great choice for everything from fried mahi-mahi to spicy grilled shrimp
Fish Tacos with Tomatillo-Jalapeño Salsa
- 4 medium tomatillos—husked, rinsed and quartered
- 1/2 cup lightly packed cilantro
- 2 small jalapeños, chopped
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- Kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon minced cilantro
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- 1 pound skinless halibut fillet, about 3/4 inch thick
- Kosher salt
- Warm corn tortillas, chopped avocado, and sliced red onion and cucumber, for serving
How to Make It
Step 1 Make the Salsa
In a blender, combine all of the ingredients except the salt and puree until nearly smooth. Season with salt and transfer to a small bowl.
Step 2 Make the tacos
Heat a grill pan. In a large baking dish, whisk the lemon juice with the olive oil, cilantro, and garlic. Add the fish and turn to coat. Season the fish all over with salt and grill over moderately high heat, turning once, until white throughout, 6 to 8 minutes. Transfer the fish to a platter and flake into large pieces with a fork. Serve in warm corn tortillas with the salsa, avocado, red onion, and cucumber.
The salsa can be refrigerated for 3 days.