Break the Rules: Wine with Tacos
It may seem unbelievable, but Mexico has a long history with wine. In fact, the oldest known winery in North America is located in Coahuila, Mexico. It was established in 1597! It’s not just beer and Tequila to drink with tacos.
· Think about the intensity of the dish
· Do try: High acid whites | Sweeter styles of Riesling for the spice | Light rosé | Low tannin red
· Avoid: Wines lots of oak, tannin and mineral qualities.
A rosé like Endless Weekend is perfect with veggies. Whether your veggie option is simple sautéed onions and bell peppers, or a high-end roasted squash with corn, the same rules apply. Use a dry or balanced rosé (again Endless Weekend is an excellent option) to highlight the ingredients’ subtle sweetness. And if you like packing on the heat with a fiery hot sauce, rosé can bring out the pepper’s complex — and sometimes hidden — fruity qualities.
Tofu-and-Vegetable Tacos with Eggplant-Ancho Spread
1 HR 45 MIN
Serves : 6
- One 14-ounce block extra-firm tofu, cut crosswise into 6 slabs
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons chopped mint
- 2 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1 yellow squash, thinly sliced lengthwise
- 1 zucchini, thinly sliced lengthwise
- 1 small red onion, cut into wedges
- 1 red bell pepper—cored, seeded and cut into strips
- 3 small tomatoes, halved
- 6 flour tortillas, warmed
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons Smoky Eggplant-Ancho Spread
How to Make It
Arrange the tofu on a baking sheet and top with another baking sheet and several plates. Let stand for 1 hour to press out some of the excess water. Pat the tofu dry.
In a bowl, combine the wine, olive oil, mint and parsley and season with salt and pepper. Add the squash, zucchini, onion, pepper, tomatoes and tofu; let stand for 5 minutes.
Light a grill and oil the grates. Grill the vegetables in a grill basket over moderately high heat, turning occasionally, until tender, 10 minutes. Grill the tofu directly on the grates, turning, until charred all over, 8 minutes.
Spread each tortilla with 1 tablespoon of the Eggplant-Ancho spread. Add the tofu and vegetables, fold up the tacos and serve.
One taco: 280 cals, 17 gm fat, 1.8 gm sat fat, 26 gm carb, 5 gm fiber, 9 gm protein.